- What is required to enter the exhibition?
- Am I required to purchase tickets in advance?
- What is timed entry?
- Do you offer group tickets?
- What if I need to make a correction on my order?
- Why didn’t I receive a confirmation email?
- What If I can’t print my tickets, or I lose my tickets?
- What If I arrive to Trace earlier than my time slot, or arrive late and miss my time slot?
- Are paid advanced reservation tickets refundable? If I cannot attend, can I get a refund for my tickets?
- Where is this event being held and is there parking?
- Is this exhibition appropriate for all ages?
- Coat Check and Storage Guidelines
- Is the space accessible to guests with disabilities?
- Are strollers allowed?
- Can I take pictures or use my cell phone?
- I lost something. Whom do I contact?
What is required to enter the exhibition?
All visitors to Ai Weiwei: Trace in Chicago will be required to obtain a free timed ticket or premium pass in advance of their visit. Upon arrival at the gallery, each visitor must present the ticket/pass and photo identification matching the name on the ticket/pass.
Am I required to purchase tickets in advance?
Trace in Chicago is being shown with strict entry procedures. For free admission, tickets corresponding to specific entry times are required for all visitors. To ensure a high-quality experience, only a limited number of free entries will be available per time slot. Tickets must be reserved in advance. There will be no on-site ticket sales.
There are two options for obtaining entry to Trace.
- Free Week-Of Tickets
Ai Weiwei: Trace in Chicago will be open to the public Wednesday through Saturday of each week during the presentation. On Monday of each week, a limited number of free, timed entry tickets will be made available online for the week. These tickets are intended for guests who wish to visit the exhibition within the same week.
- Advance Reservation Premium Passes
Visitors may enter the exhibition without a restriction as to time by purchasing a premium entry pass. These passes are priced at $25.00 each, and may be purchased at http://tickets.alphawoodex.org. A premium entry pass will allow visitors to select the date and time of their visit to the gallery.
What is timed entry?
Due to a high level of interest in Ai Weiwei: Trace in Chicago, Alphawood Exhibitions is using a timed entry system to serve as many visitors as possible while maintaining an atmosphere that is conducive to contemplation and reflection.
Entry will be permitted 15 minutes before the beginning of the designated time; for example, a visitor with a ticket for entry at 12:30 pm will be allowed inside the building at 12:15 pm. We encourage you to arrive early. The experience lasts for two hours, after which time, guests will be gently ushered out to allow the space to reset for the next group of visitors.
Do you offer group tickets?
If you would like to enjoy Trace in a group of six or more, please contact us at [email protected] or 773-437-6601 to reserve tickets.
What if I need to make a correction on my order?
Before you make your final purchase, carefully review your selection. Our staff cannot process a refund under any circumstances. If a correction needs to be made, please contact Guest Services at [email protected].
Why didn’t I receive a confirmation email?
For all online purchases, we send a confirmation email. However, there are times when these emails can be accidentally routed to spam or junk mail folders. If a confirmation email is not received within one hour of the time of purchase, please contact us at [email protected] and one of our guest service representatives will assist you.
What if I can’t print my tickets, or I lose my tickets?
Paper tickets are not necessary to enter. Tickets can be retrieved electronically from the confirmation email. Please be sure to bring a Photo ID that matches the name on the ticket.
What if I arrive to Trace earlier than my time slot, or arrive late and miss my time slot?
We respectfully request that all visitors please arrive on time for their entry. However, we are aware that issues occur due to weather and transportation, and therefore guests may be permitted to enter up to 15 minutes before their time slot. For example, guests for a 12:30 pm time slot may be admitted beginning at 12:15 pm.
Tickets are non-refundable and can only be exchanged prior to the date and time appearing on the ticket, and based on availability. Please contact us at [email protected] or 773-437-6601.
In event of a late arrival, no additional time can be added to the time slot; all visitors must leave the premises within two hours after the start of designated time slot, so that the space may be prepared for the following guests.
Are paid advanced reservation tickets refundable? If I cannot attend, can I get a refund for my tickets?
Sorry, we do not offer refunds for unused tickets. However, paid advance reservations can be exchanged prior to the date and time appearing on the ticket, based on availability. Please contact us at [email protected] or 773-437-6601 to exchange.
Where is this exhibition being held and is there parking?
Ai Weiwei: Trace in Chicago is being presented at 659 West Wrightwood Avenue, Chicago. There is no on-site parking and street parking is difficult. Use of public transportation is encouraged.
Coat Check and Storage Guidelines
To make the most of your time in the space, we ask that you plan to arrive with as few items as possible.
The following items are not allowed in the galleries and must be stored in the coat check:
- Art supplies, with the exception of pencils and paper (no ink pens)
- Tripods, flash or lighting attachments, video equipment of any kind, or selfie sticks
- Bags larger than 4” x 13” x 17,” including but not limited to: backpacks, large shoulder bags or purses, or camera bags
- Strollers, any wheeled vehicle or non-ADA compliant mobility devices
The following items are not allowed in the space at any time:
- Food and beverages
- Smoking or vaping paraphernalia or any incendiary materials
- Sharp items (including scissors or pocket knives)
- Pets/animals (except registered service animals)
- Drones or similar remote-controlled devices, binoculars, or other telephoto equipment
These checks and measures are in place for the security, safety, and comfort of visitors and staff. We reserve the right to refuse admission to anyone possessing, or believed to possess, any of the above-listed materials. Thank you for your cooperation and support.
Please note the following rules:
- Only visitors with a ticket to the exhibition may store items with guest services.
- All carried bags must be secured across the front of the body.
- All bags are subject to inspection upon arriving and leaving the gallery.
- The gallery is not responsible for lost, damaged, or unclaimed items.
Is the space accessible to guests with disabilities?
Trace in Chicago is presented in an ADA-compliant space and is open to individuals with disabilities. We also welcome and will make reasonable accommodations for registered service animals. If you have any concerns about your visit, please contact us at [email protected] in advance of your visit.
Are strollers allowed?
Due to the nature of the artwork, strollers are not permitted within the installation. Should you need to bring a stroller with you, you will be asked to store it at our attended check desk.
Can I take pictures or use my cell phone?
Cell phone photography and video are allowed – and encouraged! Please use #AiWeiwei, #AiWeiweiTrace, and #AiWeiweiChicago to tag all your social media content. Please refrain from using professional photography equipment and taking phone calls, and please turn your phone to silent.
I lost something. Whom do I contact?
If you discover you are missing your items prior to leaving the building, please ask any visitor guide to help you find it or come to the Guest Services Desk by the entrance and we will help you. If you discover your loss after leaving the building, please call 773-437-6601 or email us at [email protected] to check if we have your item. If the items you have misplaced have your contact information on them, we will contact you if we find them.